Glute activation is the foundation of your core.
It's not something that just "happens" - you have to MAKE it happen.
This means prioritizing your glute work before every leg workout and focusing on activation on a consistent basis (even on other training days).
The glutes are comprised of 3 major parts:
- Gluteus Maximus
- Gluteus Medius
- Gluteus Minimus
Don't worry so much about the minimus for this article's purpose, but it's important to recognize that the hips are supported by muscles on the front, back, outside (lateral) and inside (medial) regions.
This supports the hip and provides mobility and movement in many different directions.
This is what allows us as humans to accomplish so many different combinations of movement.
The two exercises as described in the above video, a clip from episode #948 of the Daily Swole Podcast (Full Video on YouTube)
These exercises require minimal equipment and time so there is NO excuse not to do them!
Lateral Tube Walking
- Keep toes pointed straight ahead
- Lift big toe and bias foot to outer edge
- AVOID taking extra long steps
- Keep band just above ankle
Supine Hip Bridge
- Suck stomach in and touch lower back to floor to begin
- This puts body in a more hip-neutral position
- Keep stomach sucked in and hips "tucked" throughout movement
- Push up as high as you can without arching lower back
- Squeeze glutes the entire time
- Pause for 2 seconds at the top before repeating
Refer to the video podcast for more details and context surrounding each of these movements.
If you are currently a member of Swolenormous X, these glute activation exercises and more are available in your Instructional Video Library.